Saturday, July 4, 2009

Hiking Mt. Ellinor

Matt forgets to add text to his blog posts. So I will.
Matt had Friday off for the 4th of July. We drove out to the Olympic Mountains to hike Mt. Ellinor. This is something Matt has been wanting to do for over a year now. It was a beautiful day and after a couple of minutes wondering if I could actually do it, we started the hike. It is only 1.6 miles to the summit from the upper trailhead, but its pretty much vertical the entire way. There are steps built into the trail so you aren't scrambling all the way up, but it is a very steep climb. We went slow. You can see from the pictures though that its worth it. You have a gorgeous view of all the Olympic Mountains behind you. Then to the front you can see across the Hood Canal and the Puget Sound over to Mt. Rainier and you can even see Mt. Baker to the north. Plus there were mountain goats and their babies to play with. Kenley fed a couple chipmunks our trail mix which they ate right out of her hands (I was a little worried about the possibility of a rabies bite). Going down I carried Kenley part of the way since she was pretty tired and in a "I only want mommy" mood which she shared with the entire mountain unless she was on my back. It was a fun trip though, and we were even able to walk around at the Bainbridge Island parade the next day. (If you are really lucky we may tell you the story that makes the whole trip story worthy, but its fit for blogging).




















2 comments:

Ryanne said...

Awesome pics! Where were you hiking at? What a fun 4th.

the man said...

that view is awesome! kinda makes me dizzy though!